Are you looking for something to do this weekend? Check out these local events.
The Beautiful Life of the Woman Komachi
- When: Friday, Jan. 18 at 7 p.m., Saturday, Jan. 19 at 2 and 7 p.m. and Sunday, Jan. 20 at 2 p.m.
- Where: Villanova University 800 E Lancaster Ave, Villanova
- Why Go: Villanova University's Asian Studies Program and Villanova Theatre present "The Beautiful Life of the Woman Komachi," a staged reading of a new play in five acts adapted from five short plays of Traditional Japanese Noh Theatre: Depicting transformative events in the astonishing life of Ono no Komachi, Japan's best beloved and most admired woman poet, beauty, lover, teacher and ultimately spiritual adept.
- Cost: Free, reserve tickets
RHS Baseball/Softball Beef & Beer Fundraiser
- When: Saturday, Jan. 19 from 6 - 9 p.m.
- Where: Italian American Club 301 N Wayne Ave, Wayne
- Why Go: The Radnor High School Baseball and Softball Booster Clubs will hold a fundraising beef and beer to help fund the many events for their teams, including a trip by both varsity teams to Florida in March.
- Cost: $25 for an individual, $40 for a couple
Organ Recital Series: Thomas Sheehan
- When: Sunday, Jan. 20 from 3 - 4 p.m.
- Where: St. David's Episcopal Church 763 South Valley Forge Road, Wayne
- Why Go: St. David’s Episcopal Church's 2013 Organ Recital Series kicks off this weekend with renowned organist Thomas Sheehan. Sheehan will perform the Dupré Symphonie-Passion, the Bach Fourth Trio Sonata in E minor, the first movement of Widor’s Sixth Symphonie, and Liszt’s transcription of Otto Nicolai’s Overture on “Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott.”
- Cost: Free
Voices United Against Abuse Benefit Concert
- When: Sunday, Jan. 20 from 3 - 7 p.m.
- Where: The New Leaf Club, 225 Montrose Ave,Rosemont
- Why Go: Help women and children that are victims of domestic abuse by coming out for an afternoon of music, food and more. Your ticket gives you four hours of live music by some of the best musicians, food catered by local restaurants, and a raffle and silent auction. 100% of the events proceeds will go to the organization WOMEN AGAINST ABUSE.
- Cost: $20
Free Dental Care for Kids at Harcum College Sealant Day
- When: Monday, Jan. 21 from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- Where: Harcum College 750 Montgomery Ave, Bryn Mawr
- Why Go: The Dental Hygiene Program at Harcum College will offer free oral examinations, sealants, fluoride treatments and health care for children ages 6-13 at its Sealant Monday event, held in conjunction with Martin Luther King Day of Service. This is the ninth year of the program, in which registered dental hygienists, area dentists and Harcum dental hygiene students provide free dental hygiene services to children.
- Cost: Free, to schedule appointment contact the Cohen Dental Center at Harcum at 610-526-6113 or 610-526-6015.
- When: Monday, Jan. 21 at 11 a.m.
- Where: Bryn Mawr Film Institute
- Why Go: Join your fellow citizens to watch the swearing-in ceremonies for President Barack H. Obama and Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. The simulcast of the day's events will start at 11:00am and all are welcome.
- Cost: Free