Many aspects of the old Radnor High School / Radnor Middle School on South Wayne Avenue remain in the memories of those who attended school there.
Among the most memorable decorative elements of the school were the murals in the auditorium, painted by class of 1951 seniors Nancy Carpenter and Cynthia Satow. The murals were created with the goal of educating about Wayne's history.
Can you guess what two historic buildings are depicted in this panel of the mural?
Answer: On the left is the original 1889 public school, the first in downtown Wayne and the first building on the site of the old Middle School. The school (also seen here) is believed to have been designed by Thomas Mellon Rogers, with an addition designed by David Knickerbacker Boyd.
On the right is the Bellevue Hotel, easily the largest building in Wayne for 20 years. Built around 1880, when Wayne was first beginning life as a summer resort, it was the town's showpiece until it was destroyed by fire in 1900. On the site of the hotel is the largest building of today's Wayne, the AT&T tower.
- Greg Prichard, Radnor Historical Society