One of the best known and prolific architects to have called Radnor home was David Knickerbacker Boyd. Over the next few weeks "From the Archives" will look at some of Boyd's work in the township.
David K. Boyd briefly partnered with his architect brother, Lawrence Visscher Boyd, in a firm they called Boyd & Boyd. Perhaps the most recognizable example of their work together is the , designed in the late 1890s.
This image was probably drawn by one of the brothers, and graced the cover of the program commemorating the church's cornerstone laying on August 21, 1897. By 1899 the edifice would be complete.
The Boyds were in competition with Francis A. Gugert to design the church, whose leaders preferred Gugert's interior layout but the Boyds' exterior design; in the end the latter won the contract.
Today, the church has had some modifications. The conical turret atop the bell tower has been removed, and the porte-cochére has been replaced by a new main entrance of modern design.
- Greg Prichard,