The following was submitted to Radnor Patch for publication by Wayne resident John Sheehan.
As a career FBI agent and Radnor’s Treasurer for 9 years, John Osborne has demonstrated a high level of integrity. Here are some of John’s accomplishments as Radnor Township Treasurer:
1. Persisted for several years in requesting supporting documents for Township disbursements despite fierce opposition from previous Commissioners including Bill Spingler who wanted Treasurer John Osborne to just blindly sign checks.
2. Initiated the investigation that led to the termination of the former manager. During the 4/13/2009 BOC meeting that led to his suspension, Commissioner Bill Spingler offered to write a letter of recommendation for the manager. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntx6QXXQYqQ
3. Uncovered hundreds of thousands of dollars of unauthorized bonus and other payments by former Township manager. Bill Spingler believed that the manager had the authority to make these payments to him and others.
4. Filed a claim to recover $1 million on behalf of taxpayers.
5. Demonstrated the ability to work on a non-partisan basis to serve the best interests of Radnor taxpayers. During the several years leading up to the discovery of the unauthorized expenditures, John Osborn worked closely with several Democrats who championed transparent government.
And, here are a few reasons to NOT vote for Bill Spingler:
1. During his recent election campaign, Bill Spingler improperly utilized Township staff and resources to copy campaign literature. After this activity was brought to the attention of the Township Manager, Bill Spingler reimbursed the Township for $572. Obviously, this action is inconsistent with being a watchdog for Radnor taxpayers. http://www.mainlinemedianews.com/articles/2013/10/18/main_line_suburban_life/life/doc5261733471d55192706217.txt
2. In the 6/19/2006 BOC meeting when Treasurer John Osborne was requesting access to supporting documents for disbursements, Commissioner Bill Spingler stated that it was his Party’s (Democratic) position that the Office of Treasurer should be eliminated. He also stated that Commissioners, not the Treasurer, were elected by voters to be watchdogs. He also discussed abolishing the Office of Treasurer by voter referendum. (See link below.)
3. Also, during the 6/19/2006 BOC meeting, on a motion by Commissioner David Cannan that Treasurer John Osborne be given the records that he needed to do his oversight job, there was no second to his motion. Commissioner Bill Spingler was one of the Commissioners who refused to second that motion. (See link below.)
4. Here is the link to the 6/19/2006 BOC meeting—which took place 18 months prior to all of the skeletons coming out of the closet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3WmJXuH_RA Please view the above video if you have any doubts about who would be the best Radnor Treasurer.
Please vote on Tuesday!