One of the best known and prolific architects to have called Radnor home was David Knickerbacker Boyd. Over the next few weeks "From the Archives" will look at some of Boyd's work in the township.
At the end of the 19th century, the Radnor school system was in need of a new building. Wayne's population had exploded thanks to the development of North and South Wayne, and the 1889 school building, about to be enlarged for the second time, was quickly becoming outdated.
Local architect D.K. Boyd was hired to design a new school, and this drawing was one of his first designs for the building. This scheme shows the school with massing similar to what was built (the current Radnor Township School District Administration Building), but with more Colonial details.
The doorway, in particular (not shaded by the porch roof that was included in the final design) has engaged columns, side lights and other Colonial details that were not included in the actual building.
Next week: can you imagine what the school building would have looked like in the Spanish Mission style?
- Greg Prichard,