Radnor Township police are asking area residents who may have been victims of theft in the past year to come forward and report missing items in conjunction with an investigation into at least eight incidents of unreported theft.
Police Superintendent William A. Colarulo said in a press conference Thursday that Colleen Brophy, a 32-year-old resident of Berwyn, has confessed to over 13 counts of theft, only five of which were reported to police.
“She has admitted to cases of theft and fraud that have not yet been reported,” he said.” We are asking the public, if they have been victimized at the Philadelphia Sports Club in Radnor, Ardmore or Philadelphia, or if cards were used at Saxby’s Coffee Shop in Wanye, Wayne Sonoco, Sweet Endings Yogurt Stand, the Gap outlet store, a private physicians office or any placees like that, we’re asking they call the Radnor Township police so we can conduct an investigation.”
Brophy is believed to be connected to several instances’ of reported theft, including a March 17 incident in which items were stole from a car at the Philadelphia Sports Club in Radnor, the theft of a tip jar on March 23, stealing a handbag and using stolen credit cards to purchase goods on April 1 and stealing a tip jar from the Amazon Café in the Radnor Philadelphia Sports Club on April 9.
Colarulo said that Brophy’s M.O. was to search unlocked lockers at area sports clubs for items, going as far as to take car keys, locate the corresponding car in the parking lot, and take items from cars.
Colarulo said that these five incidents, as well as several others that have not yet been reported, are likely not the only incidents of theft Brophy may have been involved in.
“We believe she has committed numerous other thefts,” he said. “She admitted that this a problem she’s been having. She recalled a lot of these incidents, but there were a lot more she couldn’t remember."
Police are asking anyone who may have been victimized in the following incidents to contact the Radnor Township police.
- March 2010: theft from lockers at the Philadelphia Sports Club in Ardmore
- March 2010: theft of cash from the Philadelphia Sports Club in Society Hill, Philadelphia.
- December 2010: use of a credit card a private physician’s office.
- January 2011: theft of a duffle bag from the Philadelphia Sports Club in Ardmore
- February 2011: theft of an iPod from the Philadelphia Sports Club in Ardmore
- February 2011: theft of a cosmetic bag from the Philadelphia Sports Club in Ardmore
- February 2011: theft of credit cards and gift cards from the Philadelphia Sports Club in Ardmore
- April 2011: use of stolen credit cards at an area gas station.
“These are only the incidents she recalls that we don’t have a victim for,” Colarulo said. “If the public feels they have been victimized but did not come forward in the past, please do so now.”
Brophy is currently being held at the George W. Hill Correctional Facility in Thorton.