Fire Prevention Week is October 6 to 12.
Radnor Fire Company is joining forces with the nonprofit National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) to remind local residents to ‘Prevent Kitchen Fires.'
During this year's fire safety campaign, fire departments will be spreading the word about the dangers of kitchen fires, most of which result from unattended cooking, and teaching local residents how to prevent kitchen fires from starting. According to the latest NFPA research, cooking is the leading cause of home fires.
"Often when we're called to a fire that started in the kitchen, the residents tell us that they only left the kitchen for a few minutes," said Michael Maguire, Fire Chief. "Sadly, that's all it takes for a dangerous fire to start. We hope that Fire Prevention Week will help us reach folks in the community before they've suffered a damaging lesson."
• Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, broiling, or boiling food.
• If you must leave the room, even for a short period of time, turn off the stove.
• When you are simmering, baking, or roasting food, check it regularly, stay in the home, and use a timer to remind you.
• If you have young children, use the stove’s back burners whenever possible. Keep children and pets at least three away from the stove.• When you cook, wear clothing with tight-fitting sleeves.
• Keep potholders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper and plastic bags, towels, and anything else that can burn, away from your stovetop.
• Clean up food and grease from burners and stovetops.
The Radnor Fire Company will host its Annual Open House and Fire Prevention Event on Saturday, October 12 from 6 to 8 p.m. at the fire station, 121 S. Wayne Ave. in Wayne. There will be live fire/rescue demonstrations, firehouse tours, and fire truck rides.