The Villanova Theatre Department is pleased to announce the first annual playwriting competition, offered exclusively to Villanova students, alumni, faculty and staff. The goal of this competition is to foster creative endeavors within the Villanova arts community. The funding and support for this project will be provided by the Sue Winge Playwriting Grant.
The guidelines for the competition are as follows:
- Competition is open to all Villanova students, alumni, faculty and staff.
- Scripts are to be original, unpublished, and unproduced.
a. Musicals, monologues, children’s plays, film scripts, and television scripts are ineligible.
- Winning playwright will receive a $300 stipend. Travel and housing costs are the responsibility of playwright.
- Winning play will receive two rehearsals and a staged reading in September 2013 that will be open to the public.
a. The Theatre Department will provide a cast and a graduate student director.
- In addition to a staged reading, the playwright will receive professional feedback from Villanova University’s Theatre Department.
- Playwrights may submit ONE play per year. Plays submitted that do not win may be resubmitted in subsequent years.
- Scripts must be submitted in English.
- Only electronic copies may be submitted.
- Submissions may be submitted beginning March 1st, 2013. The deadline for submissions is March 15th, 2013. The winner will be announced May 3rd, 2013.
All submissions should be directed to the attention of: Liz Marafino, Production Assistant, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Sue Winge Playwriting Grant and competition was established in memory of beloved Villanova University employee, Sue Winge, who served the university for many years in the Theatre Department and the President’s Office.
This information was provided by Villanova University.